The Crop Trust is excited to announce the very first International Agrobiodiversity Congress (IAC) to be held in New Delhi, India from November 6-9, 2016, featuring thematic scientific papers, poster presentations, and keynote speeches by a number of eminent speakers, including our very own Marie Haga, Crop Trust Executive Director.
A first of its kind, the Congress aims to engage stakeholders from every realm of genetic resource conservation and management to deliberate on the rational and effective use of agrobiodiversity for food, nutrition and environmental security.
The Crop Trust is honoured to be co-sponsoring and participating in the event which is being organized by the Indian Society of Plant Genetic Resources (ISPGR) and Bioversity International, in collaboration with Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Protection of Plant Varieties, Farmers’ Right Authority (PPV&FRA), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, National Biodiversity Authority, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Trust for Advancement of Agricultural Science (TAAS), National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) and the Global Crop Diversity Trust (GCDT).
Key themes of the Congress in New Delhi will include:
- Agrobiodiversity for food, nutrition and ecosystem services
- Agrobiodiversity for adaptation and mitigation of climate change
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs), Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS) and farmers’ rights
- Quarantine, biosafety and biosecurity Issues
- Conservation strategies and methodologies
- Science-led Innovation for agrobiodiversity management and sustainable use
- Capacity building and strengthening partnerships
We encourage our partners and friends around the world to participate in this event, submit an abstract and/or actively participate in the discussion around agrobiodiversity conservation in order to safeguard our genetic resources and our food forever.